Turmeric considers an ingredient of ancient Indian Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine, including Thai traditional medicine for a thousand years because turmeric has properties that have commonly used in the past, such as anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-microbial, and anti-cancer. The most crucial active ingredient is polyphenol compounds such as Curcumin.
From the studies, Curcumin has many curative properties that are applied to use in medicine. There are following as;
1. ANTI-VIRAL ACTIVITY: Research found that curcumin substance has an inhibiting effect on various viruses as follows:
– Papillomavirus virus (HPV), causes cervical cancer,
– Influenza virus causes influenza,
– Hepatitis B virus (HBV), causes hepatitis B virus,
– Hepatitis C virus (HCV), which causes Hepatitis C,
– Adenovirus, Coxsackie virus, Human norovirus (HuNoV), Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), causes respiratory infections.
– Herpes simplex 1 (HSV -1), causes of herpes infection in the lips.
Curcumin can inhibit viruses from entering into the cells of the organ or body. Therefore, it helps to inhibit or reduce the chance of getting infected from these viruses.
2. ANTI-INFLAMMATORY ACTIVITY: In research, it has discovered that Curcumin has an anti-inflammatory effect in both acute and chronic inflammation. Curcumin can inhibit enzymes that cause inflammation, such as Cyclooxygenase.
3. ANTI-BACTERIAL: In a study, there is; Curcumin with the property to anti-bacterial such as P. gingivitis that causes gingivitis and Escherichia coli (or E. coli) that causes diarrhea. Curcumin has a mechanism to inhibit the growth of both of these bacteria.
4. ANTI-ALLERGY / ANTI-ASTHMA: In a study, Curcumin has anti-allergy and anti-asthma properties. Because the study found that Curcumin helps to reduce nasal congestion, runny nose, itchy nose in allergies. Curcumin helps to inhibit the secretion of the substance that causes those symptoms. Such as inhibiting the secretion of IL-4, IL-8, and Tumor Necrosis Factor-∝. It also helps to reduce inflammation of bronchi in the respiratory system. That helps to prevent bronchial stenosis, which causes asthma.
5. ANTI-ARTHRITIS: In research, Curcumin can reduce arthritis, especially research in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Due to this disease is characterized by chronic inflammation. According to Curcumin has anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic properties can treat or relieve inflammatory joint symptoms in arthritis patients.
6. ANTI-FUNGAL: In research, it found that Curcumin can inhibit fungal infections. Especially these fungi, such as Candida. Albicans, Candida. Glabrata and Candida. Tropicalis, which leads to skin infections and urinary tract infections in women. By found, Curcumin has a mechanism to prevent these fungi are unable to bind to skin cells. Therefore, it can prevent diseases causing by the fungus.
7. ANTI-OXIDANT: In research, it found that Curcumin has a potent anti-oxidant activity that scavenges free radicals to protect cells. Curcumin can inhibit free radicals in both of Reactive oxygen species (ROS) and Nitrogen species (RNS), which will help glutathione to destroy or inhibit those free radicals.
8. ANTI-CANCER: In a study, Curcumin can inhibit cancer cells by many mechanisms such as inhibit cell division, inhibit cell progression, and inhibit the spreading. It has also found that Curcumin can help reduce the side effects of chemotherapy or radiation to treat cancer patients.
There are also other studies in the medical use of Curcumin found in turmeric. Such as reducing blood sugar in diabetes patients, reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, and helps to reduce stress and resist depression. Additionally, it can help wound healing or heal faster.
Accordingly, turmeric extract, which has active ingredients, is Curcumin; it has many medical uses from the past to the present. It can be used for health care in several parts efficiently.