Onion classified as a medicinal plant that has curative properties for a long time. It used both direct medication and medicinal food. It contains high rich of many nutrients such as Vitamin C, Flavonoids, Quercetin, and Vitamin B. Therefore, the onion can be used in health care such as colds, allergies, heart system, and mouth wounds. At present, more research on onion medical benefits has been conducted such as;
1. Immune system: Onions are enriched in vitamins C and Quercetin. All these substances studied regarding their help in strengthening the immune system and activated white blood cells against bacteria or foreign bodies of the central nervous system efficiently. Foreign objects are getting more and more critical. Thereby it is useful for patients with allergies, colds, asthma, or a weak immune system.
2. Cardiovascular systems: Medicinal active compounds found in onion are antioxidant, that has anti-inflammatory properties. They help to reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. Thereby making it useful or reducing the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. Especially Quercetin, studies have discovered that they can reduce the risk of disease in such systems. Because it can help reduce high blood pressure and inflammation of the arterial walls.
3. Control Blood Sugar: Regularly, taking onions can help control blood sugar levels, especially in diabetes patients. The study found that active ingredients are Quercetin and Sulfur compounds able to control blood sugar levels. The action of these active substances is inhibiting the absorption of sugar in the small intestine. Also, it stimulates the muscles to bring sugar into the cells more effectively and improves the pancreas function.
4. Anti-bacterial: The active medicinal ingredients found in the onion can inhibit bacteria such as Escherichia coli (E. coli) which is the cause of diarrhea, Pseudomonas aeruginosa which causes infection, Pneumonia, or Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) which causes peptic ulcers, and Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus) which causes skin infections. The primary active ingredient that can inhibit bacteria is Quercetin, which causes these bacteria not to grow.
5. Digestive Health: Onion is considered a nutrient that has properties as prebiotic, which is a food that helps probiotics grow in the intestines to be healthy and to work efficiently. It helps to control the balance of the intestinal system. It also strengthens the intestinal system and the immune system to be more productive. It is suitable for people with intestinal and excretory system problems.
Therefore, the medicinal active substances found in onions have medical properties. Regarding much research, they can be used in health care to prevent the illness in various parts of the body.